Our year of creative habits book club is taking a mid-summer (or mid-winter for those in the Southern Hemisphere) break. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't read this month!
Instead of an official selection, I asked the year of creative habits community to recommend a book. Think about it, what ONE book would you recommend to a creative friend? I compiled all the responses into a year of creative habits summer reading list. :)
The number one recommended book was Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert. It was chosen by Heather Koshiol, Minna Randolph, and Rachel Dominguez-Benner.
The other recommended books were:
- Art Before Breakfast by Danny Gregory, recommended by Shanta Devi Williams.
- Gift From The Sea by Anne Lindbergh, recommended by Nicole Chilton
- Syllabus by Lynda Barry, recommended by Sheryl Pond
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life by Twyla Tharp, recommended by Helen McLaughlin
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, recommended by Debbie Lamey-MacDonald
- Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections by Linda Woods and Karen Dinino, recommended by Sarah Mason
- Show Your Work by Austin Kleon, recommended by Emily Simmons
Hopefully there's a little something for everyone on the list! But there's more...
Later this month, I'm giving away four (gently used) books from our book clubs this year. Find out how to win one of those in our year of creative habits Facebook group.
And if you've got a book (not on this list) that you would recommend to a friend, tell us about in our Facebook group.